Thursday, April 16, 2009

Zancudo & the Sullivan’s




This week I met my favorite guests, the Sullivan family from Cleveland, Ohio. I knew I was going to like them when I met them on the Titi Trail. After a long hike they invited me a happy hour to watch the sunset from their gorgeous guest house, Casa Miramar. I’ve seen the sunset from the Pacific Ocean beach however seeing it from Casa Miramar’s huge patio, with a few glasses of white wine and good company is even more spectacular.

Yesterday the Sullivans invited me to Zancudo it was the first time I have left the Osa Peninsula in a month! All 8 of us jammed into the Prado SUV and drove down to Puerto Jimenez. Then we hoped onto a boat for 45 minutes which dropped us off at Zancudo Lodge which is a fishing lodge that Sean, the Ohio dad has been going to for the past 5 years. It turns out the owner of the lodge is from San Francisco and lives at 1st and Follsom! Small world. Me being myself bombarded him with questions on how he found the lodge, bought it, financed it, lawyers, hiccups along the way and the whole deal of owning a place in Costa Rica. It is really interesting to learn about how slow it is to do business in Costa Rica.

The minute we stepped off the boat in Zancudo we saw 2 aligators! Luckily the gators were just on the fresh water side of the lodge and the Gulf Dulce beach side was nothing but wide open beautiful sandy beaches and warm water. Standing on the beach in Zancudo I was only 20 miles away from the Panama border. Once we were settled at the lodge we grabbed some lunch, hung out by the pool, played freeze tag in the ocean, went for a long walk and of course enjoyed many Pina Coloda’s. It was just such a great day and nice to be with a family.
This is just another example of why its called Midwest Nice and us Midwesterns find ourselves bonding together around the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment