I’m posting just a few pictures of my most common neighbors.
The first picture is a large spider which I found behind my cabin. Second picture is of Cane Toads in the pond by the office. Apparently they will kill you if you lick them…which I was not informed of during the Cane Toad racing in Port Douglas, Australia. The black and green frog is a posionious dart frog. Mandeep, Nathan and Becca - if you remember this is the "real" version of what we were taking pictures of at the Academy of Sciences. I see them almost every day hiking and I think they are so beautiful.
The first picture is a large spider which I found behind my cabin. Second picture is of Cane Toads in the pond by the office. Apparently they will kill you if you lick them…which I was not informed of during the Cane Toad racing in Port Douglas, Australia. The black and green frog is a posionious dart frog. Mandeep, Nathan and Becca - if you remember this is the "real" version of what we were taking pictures of at the Academy of Sciences. I see them almost every day hiking and I think they are so beautiful.
The moth picture was actually pretty scary experience for mee. One night I heard something flapping its wings like it was caught between rafters, and I was convinced it was a bat. I slept the whole night with my sheet wrapped around my entire body including my head because I didn’t want it to make nest in my hair. Ok…I’m sure this is an old wives tale but still scary. I woke up the next morning and found this gigantic moth clinging to my curtains. It’s hard to tell size from the picture but it’s larger than my hand.
The Spider monkeys are my favorite monkey in the Osa. They are so fun to watch swinging around by their tails, and when I was ziplining I saw one freefall 20 feet from one tree to another. These Spider monkey pictures were taken from right outside the office. You will see one of the monkeys is holding a green mango ready to throw it like a baseball which they actually do! This morning I was walking into the office I came face to face with a White Faced monkey. He was so close I could have reached out and touched him, and if he didn’t look so mean I would have. The white faced monkeys become the most agitated by people. I was on a sustainability tour at Lapa Rios, the resort next door and one of the monkeys actually was breaking branches and throwing them at our group!
The Spider monkeys are my favorite monkey in the Osa. They are so fun to watch swinging around by their tails, and when I was ziplining I saw one freefall 20 feet from one tree to another. These Spider monkey pictures were taken from right outside the office. You will see one of the monkeys is holding a green mango ready to throw it like a baseball which they actually do! This morning I was walking into the office I came face to face with a White Faced monkey. He was so close I could have reached out and touched him, and if he didn’t look so mean I would have. The white faced monkeys become the most agitated by people. I was on a sustainability tour at Lapa Rios, the resort next door and one of the monkeys actually was breaking branches and throwing them at our group!
The last picture is of three land crabs. A couple little boys thought it would be funny to scare me by setting them on the bar. Little do they know I have one of these land crabs living in my shower and we coexist peacefully together.
I’ll keep snapping more shots of this beautiful wildlife! I’m just waiting to get the perfect picture of a scarlet macaw but with my dinky Cannon digital it’s tough to capture them
The picture of the spider freaks me out, but I love that you coexist with the crab in your shower...you'll be a hippy in no time :). If you decide to stay there indefinitely I'll come down and visit you!
ReplyDelete