Thursday, March 5, 2009

Last Day's in Australia

After spending 10 days in Queensland we arrived back to Sydney on Valentine’s Day evening, much to our dismay it was 60, raining and the bus that was suppose to take us directly from city center to Bondi never showed. After 30 minutes in the rain and cold I was finally able to flag a cab to our destination to meet friends of friends at the Bondi Beach Hotel.
The next morning we were up at 7 AM to take a bus to the Hunter Valley which is the closest wine country near Sydney. It really amazed me at how many wineries in Australia actually use screw tops vs. corks. Many of these wineries claim its more environmentally friends as the world is running out of cork, I think it’s purely a cost issue. Screw tops = cheap and cork = expensive. Plus who doesn’t love that popping sound of a cork being pulled…I’ll pay a few extra cents for that! We also learned about a technique called chipping which winemakers actually dip bags of oak chips into the wine vats rather than using oak barrels. Both of these techniques take the art out of wine making. I did love the cheese tasting and there were some pretty decent late harvest wines in the Hunter Valley.

Our last day in Sydney we went walked through the Botanical Gardens, relaxed at Bondi Beach until it rained, and ate our last dinner together at Darling Harbor. It was really sad to leave Australia and Megs. Per the norm as I get ready to say my goodbye to Megs, my eyes start watering and the tears start flowing and she started laughing. I’m TERRIBLE at saying my goodbye’s, and it’s become a family joke how long I can hold out before the crying starts.

No comments:

Post a Comment