We arrived in Hamilton Island at 9 AM on Tuesday morning to sunshine! We took a 1 hour ferry ride from Hamilton to Airlie Beach known at the gateway to the Whitsunday Islands. Our accommodation for the night was SUCH a treat... our own hotel room, bathroom, pool right outside our room and a view overlooking the ocean and islands. We went out that night as Airlie Beach is very vibrant with tons of young people that stay for a night before depart
ing on 2-4 day sailing adventures. Ironically enough the only American we met in the past 2 weeks grew up at Hyde and Broadway!!! Just a block from my apartment. His friend wants to marry me for my American passport .... he's Belgium so that deal could work out pretty well :)
We boarded "Silent Night" Wed afternoon with a diverse group of mates: 4 Germans, 2 Czech Republic, 3 Brits and the Aussie crew. As we left the slip the sky was black and the sea was churning. 20 minutes later Captain Max threw us a bunch of raincoats to protect us from the rain. They were the smelliest, moldiest, nastiest garment I have ever put on my body. Then the ocean swells started getting larger with the storm. Our poor skinny British friend almost went overboard. All I could think was if this is what the next 48 hours are going to be I'm going to be asked to return to shore! After an hour of rain and the smell coats the storm finally halted. We ended up sailing into a picturesque bay and took the dingy to shore to explore aboriginal caves and lots of little waterfalls.
The next morning we woke up at 6:30 AM to perfect blue skies, emerald colored water and enjoyed a WHOLE day with no rain!!! First stop in the morning was the most beautiful beach I've ever seen in my life. Exactly as I pictured the Whitsunday's to be. The sand was so white and fine it felt like I was walking on powdered sugar. After the beach we sailed to a snorkeling location, but due to the rain and runoff from the island the clarity of the water was very limited. It was still fun to swim around and I earned a new nickname "noodle" because I admitted to being a poor swimmer and asked for a flotation device (a fun noodle is what I got). But Tammi, Molly and Bri I'll have you know I didn't look as stupid as I did in that orange life vest in Belize. Both nights spending on the sailboat were just as I imagined a good filling meal, lots of stories, cool breeze, stars and wine. Despite the first 2 hours of the sail trip it turned out to be an amazing adventure!
I only have 3 full days left :( So all you San Franciscan's I will see you soon! Singletons have fun at "Bitter Ball" and the rest of you Happy V-day!
We boarded "Silent Night" Wed afternoon with a diverse group of mates: 4 Germans, 2 Czech Republic, 3 Brits and the Aussie crew. As we left the slip the sky was black and the sea was churning. 20 minutes later Captain Max threw us a bunch of raincoats to protect us from the rain. They were the smelliest, moldiest, nastiest garment I have ever put on my body. Then the ocean swells started getting larger with the storm. Our poor skinny British friend almost went overboard. All I could think was if this is what the next 48 hours are going to be I'm going to be asked to return to shore! After an hour of rain and the smell coats the storm finally halted. We ended up sailing into a picturesque bay and took the dingy to shore to explore aboriginal caves and lots of little waterfalls.
The next morning we woke up at 6:30 AM to perfect blue skies, emerald colored water and enjoyed a WHOLE day with no rain!!! First stop in the morning was the most beautiful beach I've ever seen in my life. Exactly as I pictured the Whitsunday's to be. The sand was so white and fine it felt like I was walking on powdered sugar. After the beach we sailed to a snorkeling location, but due to the rain and runoff from the island the clarity of the water was very limited. It was still fun to swim around and I earned a new nickname "noodle" because I admitted to being a poor swimmer and asked for a flotation device (a fun noodle is what I got). But Tammi, Molly and Bri I'll have you know I didn't look as stupid as I did in that orange life vest in Belize. Both nights spending on the sailboat were just as I imagined a good filling meal, lots of stories, cool breeze, stars and wine. Despite the first 2 hours of the sail trip it turned out to be an amazing adventure!
I only have 3 full days left :( So all you San Franciscan's I will see you soon! Singletons have fun at "Bitter Ball" and the rest of you Happy V-day!
No comments:
Post a Comment