My biggest fear in the Osa is the Snakes. I’m scared shitless that I’m going to step on one of these slithering, poisonous creatures. Every night I’d walk home with my headlight strapped to my forehead and the reception girls yelling “Watch for a snakes, Mandy.” At first I thought the locals were just trying to force me to be cautious. But now I realize these things are for real!!!
My third day here, I took a Primary Forest Tour with Phillip (guide) and during his presentation he mentioned he’s been bit by TWO poisonous snakes. When bit by the cobra he had a 1 in 4 chance of living. Did I mention I am a 22 km drive to any town and then a flight away from any hospital that can treat a snake bite?
I really need to stop asking questions about the snakes because the paranoia is just going to elevate. Today, Kim (owner) asked me if I could watch the puppies while her and Phil (owner) go to San Jose for 2 days. Her fear, a snake might get in and eat the puppies. When I asked her if snakes actually get into her house she said she’s had 2 poisonous ones in her house in the last 15 months.
Thus far, I’ve only encountered two snakes and thankfully one was a little baby grass snake and the other was a bird feeding snake. So please pray, I don’t step on one of these guys!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment