To paint a picture for you the rain was so heavy in Northern Queensland there were kids using boogie boards in ditches and the bridge we had to cross in our tiny Toyota I made Megan roll her window down in case we were swept away by currents we could at least swim out of the car.
We arrived in Port Douglas on Thursday morning, and the Parrotfish Lodge was completely the opposite of Gilligans, super chill, clean and quiet. Our first day we spent exploring the tiny town and relaxing at the beach and making a nice dinner. The next day we picked up our Toyota in the morning and I drove up the coast to Cape Tribulation. For those of you that have ridden with me I realize this is a frightening thought...me driving on the left-hand side of the road. I did just fine there were no boulders or red lights in my way. The drive was gorgeous despite the weather being "dodgy". We had a great day stopping at a tropical fruit winery, many lookout points, a hike through the rain forest, an ice creamery and picnic lunch on the beach. We went out or Friday night with our new British friend. She was amazing, as the old creepy Aussies used cheesy pickup lines she used some British sarcasm to scare them away. A skill I still need to master.
Yesterday morning I woke up to a bit of a gloomy start. I was unable to sweet talk my way into an extra few hours with my rental car (I hate not getting what I want). Then I find out the roads from Cairns to the Whitsunday's are closed at least for another week due to the cyclone. When I inquired about driving around the disaster area they travel agent looked at me like I was insane. Apparently I'd have to drive 300 km in each direction out of the way. So I ended up finding a one way flight on Tuesday that will get me to Hamilton Island (home of the "Worlds Best Job" perhaps this is a sign). After the disappointing morning we ended up going for a 1.5 mile walk through the rain forest which started out well and ended up in the heaviest rain I've ever seen in my life and Megs and I huddling under the toilet shelter to stay dry.
Our last day in Port Douglas has been wonderful. We spent the day snorkeling the Great Barrier Reef and it was so amazing to see two world heritage sites, the Great Barrier Reef and the Daintree Rainforest melt into each other. Out of all the places I've snorkeled in the world this was by far my favorite. The water was warm and we saw the most beautiful coral, lots of parrot fishes and little Nemo's. My favorite creator was the sea cucumber which actually can puke out its intestines and grow them back in just weeks.
We've just finished out last meal in Port Douglas - American Hot Dogs and a bottle of Shiraz Rose and now we are headed to Toad Races at the local pub. Nathan and Matt I've been cursing you all night for changing my palate to appreciate fine wines and I know you are laughing I ate hot dogs. Keep in mind I'm travelling with a college student :)
We arrived in Port Douglas on Thursday morning, and the Parrotfish Lodge was completely the opposite of Gilligans, super chill, clean and quiet. Our first day we spent exploring the tiny town and relaxing at the beach and making a nice dinner. The next day we picked up our Toyota in the morning and I drove up the coast to Cape Tribulation. For those of you that have ridden with me I realize this is a frightening thought...me driving on the left-hand side of the road. I did just fine there were no boulders or red lights in my way. The drive was gorgeous despite the weather being "dodgy". We had a great day stopping at a tropical fruit winery, many lookout points, a hike through the rain forest, an ice creamery and picnic lunch on the beach. We went out or Friday night with our new British friend. She was amazing, as the old creepy Aussies used cheesy pickup lines she used some British sarcasm to scare them away. A skill I still need to master.
Yesterday morning I woke up to a bit of a gloomy start. I was unable to sweet talk my way into an extra few hours with my rental car (I hate not getting what I want). Then I find out the roads from Cairns to the Whitsunday's are closed at least for another week due to the cyclone. When I inquired about driving around the disaster area they travel agent looked at me like I was insane. Apparently I'd have to drive 300 km in each direction out of the way. So I ended up finding a one way flight on Tuesday that will get me to Hamilton Island (home of the "Worlds Best Job" perhaps this is a sign). After the disappointing morning we ended up going for a 1.5 mile walk through the rain forest which started out well and ended up in the heaviest rain I've ever seen in my life and Megs and I huddling under the toilet shelter to stay dry.
Our last day in Port Douglas has been wonderful. We spent the day snorkeling the Great Barrier Reef and it was so amazing to see two world heritage sites, the Great Barrier Reef and the Daintree Rainforest melt into each other. Out of all the places I've snorkeled in the world this was by far my favorite. The water was warm and we saw the most beautiful coral, lots of parrot fishes and little Nemo's. My favorite creator was the sea cucumber which actually can puke out its intestines and grow them back in just weeks.
We've just finished out last meal in Port Douglas - American Hot Dogs and a bottle of Shiraz Rose and now we are headed to Toad Races at the local pub. Nathan and Matt I've been cursing you all night for changing my palate to appreciate fine wines and I know you are laughing I ate hot dogs. Keep in mind I'm travelling with a college student :)
Pakes! I can just see you two huddled under the toilet shack. What an adventure! I would love to explore the Great Barrier Reef one day too. I love your blog so far and you're making it very hard to concentrate on anything but traveling and exploring. Thanks for taking the time to keep all of us updated... I know how those overseas Internet connections can test your very last ounce of patience... but we love it! Take care my dear. Can't wait to see you in a couple weeks.
ReplyDelete