Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Cairns

Wednesday night we arrived at Gilligan's Hostel to the sound of techno beats and the sight of drunken British 20 year old blokes. Having spent over 2 months of my life in European Hostels, I had never experienced something quite like Gilligan's. The thought am I old?! crossed my mind the entire night.

While the 20 year old boys weren't my style I did successfully manage to play wing woman for Megs. Finding her an adorable Sicilian Aussie ... quite the combo if I do say so myself. Had I been 20 again with Abby or Polly backpacking by my side this place would have been heaven on earth. Cute boys, cheap drinks, enormous dance floor and of course a fog machine.

As I watched a Canadian, Brit and Aussie girl enter a $500 "paint" contest I realized I must have matured because I would never dream of getting up in front of 100 drunken horny boys wearing nothing by my national flag painted on my chest. Sadly, we had missed the wet t-shirt contest the day before.

1 comment:

  1. Ha! You aren't old, just very wise. Sorry you missed the wet t-shirt contest though. Your story reminded me of the contest I witnessed in Puerto Vallarta when I was 18, and the shouts of "Let's see some mesquite!" from the drunk Mexican host. Good times.

    It sounds like you are having a blast. I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete