Patience for me was more than a virtue for those 7 days driving from Wisconsin to Montana, in fact I would say it was a miracle. For the most part I had a great time with my parents. We went golfing in Nebraska with my Aunt, Uncle and cousins and then explored historical sites and hiked to a lake in Western Nebraska. In Wyoming we rented ATV’s and tore around some National Forest fire roads which had amazing views. In the Tetons we went on a few long hikes where I saw my first moose and grizzly bear. We also had the most gorgeous horseback ride of my life just south of Jackson, WY. However, by the last day I was itching for my independence.
Just a few tidbits that make me laugh and I have to share:
My parents are insomniacs. It was 11 PM, I’m sleeping and all of a sudden I see my dad standing on the bed checking the fire alarm which is screwed into the ceiling. Why one would ever have the urge to check this in a hotel is beyond me. Of course there’s no battery in it and he can’t figure out how to work the phone so he storms out the door to the reception desk. But he’s in his pjs (long underwear and sweatshirt). Mortified I scream “you can’t go out in public like that”, his response “why the hell not.” Finally he comes to his senses puts pants on and fixes the fire alarm.
Same day as the fire alarm incident we go out to dinner for his birthday. He orders a bottle of microbrew and it was $4.50. Now he thought Duncan got ripped off when he purchased a $2 beer at Bobbleheads in Janesville so this was just highway robbery to him. Later that night he wanted to head back to the Cowboy Bar for a live country music band, but that the $3 cover charge in combination with a $4.50 beer was just too much for one night. But hey the bar needs to pay for those saddle bar stools somehow.
Story number three, we get to Ennis, MT the town closest to my new home and we see a girl riding horse through town. My dad rolls the window down and yells, “I’ll buy that horse from you.” So the girl gets off and actually lets me dad test drive this animal in the hotel parking lot. Perhaps Cowboy Dan should be the one living in the Madison Valley instead of me!
I have so many more stories that will just be fuel for good family dinner conversations.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment