There is definitely something to be said about the convince of living in a city, I realized this as I researched oral surgeons in my insurance coverage and I realized I would have to drive 158 miles to find one. Tuesday morning I woke up looking like a chipmunk and in ridiculous pain. I spent hours on the phone with my San Francisco dentist, insurance company and calling Montana medical professionals.
I finally found a dentist in Sheridan, MT, population 1,200 and 70 miles way from the ranch. Thankfully Liz volunteered to go with me. My plan was to just get some antibiotics and my tooth cleaned. Then I would have my tooth extracted in Wisconsin or California. Well, after examination, Dr. Bartiletti diagnosed my infection so bad the tooth needed to be removed immediately. Not that any of this was verbalized to me. Instead he told me about his 19 foreign exchange students and 4 kids. After 4 shots of Novocain and an x-ray later he had a clamp around my tooth, waiver on my chest and pillars in hand. I felt like a fish with a hook stuck in its mouth as the hygienist held my jaw and the dentist wrestled to yank my tooth out. As I left the dental chair, Dr. Bartilletti said, “well I hope I got it all out.” Promising…I think not. I was a disaster and as I walked into the waiting room Liz burst into laughter at the sight of me. I was drooling, spitting blood, my face was swollen and I couldn’t walk straight due to dizziness. However, I was pretty spunky whipping out a few good jokes. A few stops at the pharmacy for Vicitan, grocery store for frozen peas and cafĂ© for a milkshake and JUST a 70 mile drive and we were home.
After shitload of antibiotics, smoothies and pain pills I am still not recovered. Unfortunately, it is Sunday and the closest pharmacy open is 90 miles away. If you were in an emergency situation or terminal ill you may as well consider yourself dead in these parts!
Picture: Roomate/Nurse Liz with her medical gear (latex gloves, camping headlamp and syringe from the horse barn) ready to clean me out. The dentist…chair while that was the porcelain throne of course.
I finally found a dentist in Sheridan, MT, population 1,200 and 70 miles way from the ranch. Thankfully Liz volunteered to go with me. My plan was to just get some antibiotics and my tooth cleaned. Then I would have my tooth extracted in Wisconsin or California. Well, after examination, Dr. Bartiletti diagnosed my infection so bad the tooth needed to be removed immediately. Not that any of this was verbalized to me. Instead he told me about his 19 foreign exchange students and 4 kids. After 4 shots of Novocain and an x-ray later he had a clamp around my tooth, waiver on my chest and pillars in hand. I felt like a fish with a hook stuck in its mouth as the hygienist held my jaw and the dentist wrestled to yank my tooth out. As I left the dental chair, Dr. Bartilletti said, “well I hope I got it all out.” Promising…I think not. I was a disaster and as I walked into the waiting room Liz burst into laughter at the sight of me. I was drooling, spitting blood, my face was swollen and I couldn’t walk straight due to dizziness. However, I was pretty spunky whipping out a few good jokes. A few stops at the pharmacy for Vicitan, grocery store for frozen peas and cafĂ© for a milkshake and JUST a 70 mile drive and we were home.
After shitload of antibiotics, smoothies and pain pills I am still not recovered. Unfortunately, it is Sunday and the closest pharmacy open is 90 miles away. If you were in an emergency situation or terminal ill you may as well consider yourself dead in these parts!
Picture: Roomate/Nurse Liz with her medical gear (latex gloves, camping headlamp and syringe from the horse barn) ready to clean me out. The dentist…chair while that was the porcelain throne of course.
No comments:
Post a Comment