Sunday, May 3, 2009

It's called the Rainforest because it Rains! Part 2

Well as they say in all the guide books "Green Season" begins in May. As of May 2nd the rain started and I'm not a fan! It's impossible to keep things clean and the rain just makes me tired. After a day and half of rain the sunshine peaked out this afternoon and it felt glorious!

The longer I stay in Costa Rica the less I am phased by things. The sight of pizotes, wild pigs, anteaters, snakes in the driveway, toads jumping at me while I'm bartending and sitting in the back of a truck racing down windy roads and crossing rivers all seem normal. Even the pet pig, Chanchin running through the restaurant on Sunday lunches has begun to seem acceptable. Well almost, until the damn smelly pig ran through the kitchen that's when the germaphobia kicked in. I yelled for the cook to help me get him out...his solution put the pig in a large trash can and carry him out. As you can imagine the pig didn't like this one bit and let out a horrifying sequel for the entire restaurant to hear. I completely lost it from laughing so hard that I had tears streaming down my checks. One hour and a plantain later and with the help of the bartender we got him back to his pen. I told the owners it was time for our friend to "go" and I haven't seen him since. I'm not sure if they took him to the animal santurary or let him loose and I'm too afraid to know the answer. Loose = puma's dinner.

I only have 2.5 more weeks in Costa Rica! It's amazing how fast time flys. Its bitter sweet to leave. I feel like I am just getting the hang of the language (I've been receiving many compliments on improving), living in the jungle (minus the rain) and even playing futbol after lunch with the workers (I scored last week!). A part of me is not ready to leave. While another part of me knows the next 6 weeks of traveling to Panama, Northern Costa Rica, California, Boston, Wisconsin and road tripping to Montana will be amazing experiences. As well as working in Montana for the summer at The Lodge at Sun Ranch.

Well I should be off to Panama tomorrow if I ever get my backpack of clean clothes which was suppose to be in town yet got sent to the lodge without me knowing (of course now I'm in town!). Good communication one thing I really miss! So rather than take the 6 AM ferry, I'm waiting for my backpack to arrive before I can hop a ferry and two buses to the town of Boquete, Panama just 4 hours south of the border.

No comments:

Post a Comment